The meaning of the Greek word Doula is a woman caregiver or a woman who serves. A Birth Doula describes a labor companion who provides a woman continuous emotional support, physical comfort and assistance in obtaining information before, during and just after childbirth.
As a LIFE by design! Birth Doula, I support expectant mother’s, father’s and their families with:
- Recognizing the birth of a child is a precious gift from God and an important and memorable experience for the mother.
- Understanding the needs of a woman in labor.
- Helping the mother, father and/or family in preparing for and implementing their plans for the birth of their child.
- Being right beside a laboring woman throughout the entire labor.
- Coaching the laboring woman by providing emotional support, physical comfort measures and assistance in helping her receive the information she needs to make a decision.
- Providing the role of one who nurtures the woman through the whole birthing experience.
The services provided by LIFE by design Birth Doula include:
- A complimentary initial Doula Consultation
- Two prenatal visits to discuss your birth plan and preferences and to review comfort measures prior to the birth.
- 24/7 email, text and phone support for the duration of our relationship
- On-call availability from the 38th week of pregnancy until the 42nd. Also will have the availability of a back up Doula if needed – will arrange a meeting to meet the back-up Doula upon request.
- Continuous support from when the mother requests assistance during the birthing time and up to two hours after the birth of the child.
- One postpartum home visit to help process the birthing experience, assistance with breast feeding and offer informational support.
- Additional services available – taking photographs before and after the birth and creating a memorable Image Journal.
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. ~Psalm 127:3